Monday, January 12, 2009

Worship at Harvest

January 11th, 2009

Following the morning service at Itayanagi, I joined Martin Ghent to go and set up for the service at Harvest chapel. To the casual observer, this collection of old farm buildings might appear rather dilapidated and uninviting, but they would be wrong for a of couple reasons. One: these buildings look like they've stepped right out of My Neighbour Totoro (ok, a bit silly but still rather neat)! Two: the potential for the future is incredible. It'll be amazing to see how Harvest develops in the next few years. There's space for a worship hall, offices, gym, kitchen...

Even with so much work to be done, the rooms and service at Harvest have a homely feel. The congregation may not be large, but that allows for a greater intimacy between those attending. We sang together, I gave my testimony, Martin shared his message - and all this was accompanied by the inviting smell of the next meal cooking! There's a definite upside to holding a service in a room with a kitchen attached. After the service, we all shared an afternoon meal together, and I couldn't help thinking how beautiful the surroundings of the chapel were. With so much room to expand, I can see God doing many great things through Harvest chapel!

- Jonathan

No comments: